Fruska Gora Mountain

VRDNIK MONASTERY

During repeated NATO bombing the monastery church and residential buildings are badly shaken. Fissures appeared on the walls of the monastery church and its windows are broken. The walls of residential buildings are interlaced with fissures. The refectory door is blown off the wall.

 


Arial view of the monastery 18th century and 1811
The Vrdnik monastery with the church of the Ascension is one of more then a dozen monasteries on the Fruska Gora mountain, near Novi Sad. It was founded in 16th century. The old church was in 1811 replaced with the present one. Its interior is painted in Romanticism style, while the carved iconostasis is one of the finest examples of Classicism art. From the end of 17th century till 1989 the relics of St. Prince Lazar were kept in the monastery church.

Iconostasis of the main church 1753

 

VRDNIK POWER PLANT

According to the reports, during the NATO attack on energetic resources on May 2nd 1999 this power plant was completely torn down.

The power plant of the coal mine in Vrdnik was constructed in 1911. Its original puprose was to supply energy to the nearby mine. The energy was supplied with the coal from the mine and the electricity was generated by two steam engines of 1000 HP. The generator was of 3 x 3150 W. The edifice was built similar to many other industrial structures of the time with stylistic elements applied to public buildings. The main facade was partitioned with shallow pillars and a high vaulted entrance with the staircase. To the right and left from the entrance there are windows with shallow pilasters that end up under the roof cornice.