NIS

The center of the town and the western surroundings were damaged during the repeated NATO attacks.

 

The Greek Consulate in Nis.
Due to missile and cluster bombs detonations in the near vicinity on May 8th, the building was severely damaged.

The family house of Khrant Mumjian, a Nis industrialist, was erected in 1931. Its monumental look was achieved by placing it on a levelled surface near the river, in the vicinity of the bridge. The house has a basement, ground floor, first floor and an attic. The entrances are emphasized with massive stone staircases and balustres. There was also a great garden with fountains.
After extensive conservation works the building became the Greek Consulate.



Today the building houses the Rectorate of the University of Nis and the Regional Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments.
The University of Nis, the Rectorate Building.
Three NATO missiles directly hit the building on May 7th and severely damaged it.

The building was constructed in 1886 for the County Hall, Court and Police Administration. With its position, dimensions, style and overall construction it represents the most distinguished and monumental public building in Nis, especially renowned by the lavishly decorated interior. The conservation works were done in 1976-77 and 1987-88.


The Synagogue in Nis
Due to explosions of cluster bombs on May 7th and   missiles on May 8th in the near vicinity the building was severely shaken up.  The stability of its walls is disrupted and some static deformations occurred; all the glass panes were blown out and the facade was damaged.

In the area of a former Jewish centre burnt in a fire in 1879, new constructions began in 1880. In this now protected historical complex in 1924 a synagogue was erected. It was built in the style of that time. The vertical shapes of the main facade made in three sections are emphasised by the side projections and the central part with a rectangular gable above the trapezoid window openings and shallow relief decorations placed in triangles.
Today the building houses the Art Gallery.



After some restoration works the building today houses the Nis Symphony Orchestra.
The Nis Symphony Orchestra Building
Due to missile and cluster bombs detonations in the near vicinity on May 8th, the building was severely damaged.

It was erected in 1902 for the Nis Shareholding Saving Services. The main street facade is of a simple academic, eclectic design with the elements of Classicism and Neo-Renessaince. Apart from its architectural values, this building is of great historical significance, since it was the first and the oldest bank in southern Serbia (founded in 1884).



After extensive conservation works (1978-1984) the building became The Museum of Medical Care.
The Louis Pasteur Institute - The Nis Clinic Center
During the NATO bombing on May 7th, the walls of the building were badly shaken.

The building was completed in 1900 according to the project of a distinguished architect. It became the first health institute for preventive medicine in the Balkans. It is a ground floor edifice with a central hall with two spacious rooms (for medical check ups) and one laboratory on the each side. New wings were added in 1923 and 1926. It was then turned into an Epidemiological Institute and soon after that into Hygienic Institute.


The National Museum
Due to bomb detonations in near vicinity and numerous cluster bombs the building is severly damaged, doors and windows broken and the facade ruined.

The building was erected in the eclectic style in 1927 as a family villa. This luxurious house has a basement, ground floor and the first floor above its central part and an attic above side wings. The main facade is richly decorated in floral, interlaced and geometrical patterns. Above the ground floor is a poligonal terrace with balustrades wich is covered with semicircular glass eaves. In the neatly aranged garden is a pool with a fountain. The building now houses a colection and administration from the National Museum.


The Liberation Square
Due to bombing in the close vicinity on May 7th a series of houses was seriously damaged, doors, windows and shop windows broken and the facades damaged
.

The old carsi (souk) with small houses was being built from 1882 in the very centre of the city. The groundfloors of these houses are shops and shop windows, whereas the first floors are flats and offices. narrow facades are in eclectic style with projected room windows, wrought iron balconies and attics. Some facades are with rich plaster decoartions. After renovations some houses changed thier purpose and became bookshops or restaurants.

 


(RTS-Radio Television of serbia)

The building of the Military Court in the center of Nis


(RTS-Radio Television of serbia)


(RTS-Radio Television of serbia)

Nis City Center


"Cavalry Barracks" - the central part of the Army Hospital Complex
end of 19th century


Cele Kula
Since it is situated in the complex of a military hospital in Nis, the Tower was severely shaken up by bomb detonations and by tearing down of the nearby pavilion. The roof construction of the chapel together with glass openings is broken.

Cele Kula, in Turkish the Tower of Sculls, was built from the sculls of the Serbs killed in the battle of Cegar, near Nis, in May 1809. It is of rectangular shape, about 3 m high and was built from quicklime, sand and the skinned sculls according to the order of Khurshid Pasha who sent the skulls filled with cotton to the Sultan in Istanbul. Each side of the Tower has 14 rows with 17 openings where the sculls were embedded. There were around 950 sculls, but today only 58 have remained. The rest were pulled out to be buried or were lost in time. In 1892 a chapel was built around the Tower, according to a design of a Belgrade architect Dimitrie T. Leko.
Europe became to know about this horrible monument of Serbian martyrdom from a work "Voyage to East" by a French poet Alfonce de Lamartine (1790 - 1869).